Wednesday 23 October 2013

Home sweet home

We finally moved into our own place this weekend. Here’s the link to the estate agents view of the house. The reality was a little different to the pictures as the previous occupants had ‘done a bunk’ -  leaving the country in a rush and neglecting to clean the place before they left! So we spent the weekend cooped up indoors cleaning. All that’s behind us and it does feel like the effort involved has made it ours now. We’re happy bunnies. While Kirsty and Derek have been fantastic sharing their home with us for 3 weeks and 'showing us the ropes' it is good to be in our own space now - it does make a difference.

Luckily the house is furnished (not many rentals are for some reason?) but there's no kitchen equipment, knives & forks or plates. Thing is that we've shipped all that stuff out but it hasn't got to us yet. So when we weren't cleaning we were buying the cheapest gear we could find. It reminded me of being a fresher at Uni.... that excitement of setting up home - for next to no budget.

Friend and colleague, Ceri, has lent me her road bike so I managed to get out on the open road the other day. Prior to that I’d been riding a static bike in the University gym in an effort to maintain some remnant of fitness. The roads are smooth, there are more hills than I expected and the weather is perfect for cycling - I can see I’m going to enjoy the riding here. I was caught by a group of riders from the North Sydney Cycling Club so I tagged on to the back of them. I was happy to stay at the back, out of the way, but when we got to a small climb the group started to splinter so I had to pass a few riders. Judging by the ‘under the breath’ comments made I think they were a little put out by the foreigner in civvies and trainers (I don’t have any cycling gear here yet) seemingly cruising past them on a tough climb. I did get chatting to one of the group later on who invited me to join the club - I mustn't have upset them too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment